Regulations for receiving the Residence Permit for Study Purposes for Students arriving from Schengen and non-Schengen areas:
- Upon arrival in San Marino and before going to the Ufficio Stranieri/Gendarmeria (see point 2.), students must fill out the request form and send it by e-mail to Istituto Sicurezza Sociale (ISS), Ufficio Prestazioni Economiche – Assistenza Sanitaria (firstname.lastname@example.org) together with a copy of the health care insurance. The office will then send back to the students the completed and stamped document, ready to be presented to the Ufficio Stranieri/Gendarmeria.
- Upon arrival in San Marino, students must go to the Ufficio Stranieri / Gendarmeria delivering the required documentation (see the list below). To book the appointment it is advisable to send an e-mail to email@example.com or to contact the number 0549/882650 – 888895 – 888896 from Monday to Friday from 8.30 to 13.00. On Mondays it is also open in the afternoon from 13.30 to 17.00. Please, indicate a telephone number in the e-mail.
Documents required for the residence permit for study purposes
All students from countries inside and outside of the Schengen areas will have to apply for a Residence Permit for Study Purposes directly with RSM Gendarmeria – (Ufficio Stranieri – Foreigners Office) providing the following documents:
- Copy of identity document and / or passport (plus the original as proof);
- Certificate of enrollment at UNIRSM;
- Number 4 passport photo card in ICAO format;
- Certification of any pending proceedings or pending charges, or lack thereof, of San Marino to be requested at the time of the application with self-certification to the Foreigners Office with 15 euros in revenue stamps;
- Certification of any pending proceedings or pending charges, or lack thereof. This certificate has to be issued by the appropriate agency in your home country prior to arrival in RSM [the certificate has to be issued no earlier than 6 months prior to arrival in RSM]. If the certificate is not in Italian, it has to be translated and certified by a notary.
- Prove of private health care insurance with a minimum annual coverage of € 30,000 that is valid within RSM, together with the document issued by the Ufficio Prestazioni Economiche for the recognition of the validity of the health coverage.
- Last tax return of the applicant and any other documentation to demonstrate the possibility of maintenance.
Necessary fees are 50 euro for the application and 30 euro for the Residence Permit (in revenue stamps to be purchased before coming to the Office).
NB. All documents that are attached to the residence permit applications must be:
- drawn up in Italian or accompanied by a translation in Italian that has been certified before a competent San Marino authority or in multilingual certification;
- bear a date not earlier than 6 (six) months prior to the day of submission of the application;
- certifications, attestations or statements from foreign countries (with the exception of Italy) must imperatively be legalized or apostilled.
The students must always carry with them their official Residence Permit and a copy of their official certificate of enrollment.
NB. Non-EU students should be made aware that the residence permit issued by the Gendarmeria ensures that they can live in San Marino for the established period of time, but does NOT allow for transit through EU countries during the stay. At the end of the term, when returning through Italy to their home country, the students will need to submit the documents listed above to the border control as proof of their stay in San Marino (instead of the Schengen area).